Fort Hollingsworth - White House
Home Related Sites A Day at the Fort Photos Shop
Fort Hollingsworth-White House is located in the Hollingsworth Community of Banks County, Georgia.
Hollingsworth Fort was first shown on a map of the Defensive Plan Western Frontier, Franklin County in 1793.
Georgia's boundaries in the 1700's can best be described as the wild frontier. Between 1782 and 1797 various treaties were made with the Indians to define Georgia's boundaries. Forts were built to protect the settlers who lived on the frontier. Indians were likely to be incited by misunderstandings. Horses and farm animals were frequently stolen and families had to be protected in fortress-type buildings surrounded by wooden fences.
The lands of the first settlers of Franklin County, whose lands were granted by the State of Georgia between 1783 and 1788, lay north of the Indian Boundary fixed by the treaty of 1785. These lands were granted under the impression that they lay south of the agreed boundary line. When this line was surveyed it was found that these lands lay north of the boundary line in the Cherokee Nation. The Indians demanded their immediate removal.
Fort Hollingsworth-White House was in the Cherokee Nation. When the boundary lines were redrawn, it was in Franklin County, then in Habersham County and finally in Banks County.
William Wofford and Jacob Hollingsworth moved from North Carolina to Franklin County, Georgia in 1792. The area where they settled was known as Wofford's Settlement.
When the line was surveyed and Col. Wofford learned that their settlement was considered to be in Indian territory, he along with other settlers in the area, petitioned Georgia Governor James Jackson to have the line re-run or to take such action as would be necessary to protect them and their possessions from Indian raids.
Legend has it that he mounted his horse and rode to Washington to talk with the authorities about his land holdings in Georgia. The result is the "Four Mile Purchase" of 1804. The Indians ceded a strip of land four miles wide (from the Habersham - Banks County line on Baldwin Mountain to the Line Baptist Church on old Hwy. 441) and 23 miles long (extending from Currahee Mountain to the head waters of the South Oconee River) which included the Wofford Settlement. A line of felled trees at least twenty feet wide originally marked the line which became a no man's land. The United States agreed to pay the Cherokees $5,000 and $1,000 per annum for the property rights.
By about 1796 the Indian troubles were about over and the string of frontier forts were no longer necessary. The forts soon became log farmhouses.
The Wofford's and Hollingsworth's traveled together to new frontiers in the west using passports to travel through Indian territory. Genealogy records show, as the years passed, that many of their descendants packed up their belongings, wives, children, slaves, and animals and moved farther west. Fort Hollingsworth was left on vacant lands.
In Habersham County Inferior Court, setting as a land court, May term 1855, William B. Wofford, son of Nathaniel Wofford, grandson of Col. William Wofford, petitioned the court for a head rights warrant for vacant lands. He received the grant from the state on Oct. 2, 1855. He sold Fort Hollingsworth to Robert McMilliam on April 18, 1857.
Robert McMillian sold the property to John Lane. He owned the property little more than a month when the Civil War started. He went off to war, Co. D-43 Regiment-GA. Volunteer Infantry-Army of Tenn., CSA-"Middle River Volunteers", and never returned. He was killed somewhere in Tennessee while he was returning from getting water from a spring. His own men mistook him for the enemy and shot him.
Joshua White and Katharine Lane White (John's sister) obtained the fort and made it their home. They built the addition to the two story single pen that had been the fort and made it look like any other farmhouse of the mid 1800's. The addition was linked to the original structure by a covered walkway, known as a dogtrot.
In 1903 the fort was passed to the children of Joshua and Katharine Lane White. Lafayette (Fate) and Emma Payne White raised their family there. In 1936 Beacher White, grandson of Josh and Katy White, acquired the property. In 1980 it passed to Beacher and Mellie Segars White's children.
Fort Hollingsworth-White House looks very much today as it did in the 1860's. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Fort Hollingsworth-White House is operated by the non-profit organization, Friends of the Fort.
Fort Hollingsworth White house is located off Highway 441, at 2307 Wynn Lake Road, Alto, GA 30510. Follow the signs. Open for tours and special events by appointment. For more information call (706)754-4538 or (706)499-8579 or email to the address below.
Donations may be made to:
Friends of the Fort
660 Bethel Temple Road
Demorest, GA 30535
The site's WebCounter count says that you are visitor number
Site created by Andrea Hunnicutt www.andreahunnicutt.com (2005)